Sunday, August 23, 2009

u bike, i bike

It seems like every time I come back to Taipei there's a new public works project that makes me feel as giddy as a schoolgirl. The Ubike project has counterparts in Amsterdam and at least a few other cities, but that doesn't make it any less cool. Basically, you can pick up a bike at one of 11 stations in Taipei, ride it around for as long as you like, and then return it when you're finished. What I think is unique about the Taipei program is the price--the first 30 minutes of each session is free and each additional 15 minutes is US$0.35. A bargain!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome blog, Meredith! Can't wait to experience more of Taiwan through your eyes!

    Paris has a bikeshare program very similar to this one. Velib (short for velo libre, free bike) allows you to pick up a bike at one of hundreds of locations, ride it around for 30 minutes free, and return it anywhere else. Each half-hour after the first 30 minutes is undoubtedly more expensive than 35 cents, but it's still not bad.

    Yay for eco-friendly, design-conscious public transportation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made it my personal mission to try bike share programs wherever they exist. Oh well, looks like I'll just have to make a trip to Paris next! Pity me, pity me.

    ReplyDelete