Monday, August 24, 2009

dumplingology

Din Tai Fung is one of the oldest dumpling houses in Taipei, and probably the best loved. Until today, however, I had never enjoyed the pleasure of a DTF soup dumpling. Oh, how much time I have wasted! The crab xiaolongbao were particularly delicious. The image above shows the dumpling lab, where all the magic happens.

On the way out I spotted Din Tai Fung's character mascots. If one were to open the steamer basket guy's head, do you think there would be a brain inside? Or maybe dumplings with mini brains inside?

6 comments:

  1. Ah, Din Tai Fung -- purveyors of by far the best soup dumplings I've ever had. I prefer the pork ones to the crab, though. I also love their honey and cucumber juice concoction, their egg fried rice with pork, their wonton soup, and their sesame paste buns. How I wish they'd open a branch in Flushing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's me in the corner.
    That's me in the hot. Pants.
    Wolfing down a dumpling.
    *end of song*

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI--"refusecollector" is Andres. Just for the record.

    And yes, Ali! Flushing NEEDS a Din Tai Fung!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why are their heads so big? And their bodies so small? I'm confused.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just fyi, the above Eleanor is not the "Eleanor" who authors this blog. Dad, next time you sign in you can use your own name!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a DTF in Arcadia, CA! (Not far from ONT airport.) The $247.50 dumpling, anyone?

    ReplyDelete