Sunday, August 30, 2009

in the red

The Honglou Theater (紅樓劇場) in Ximending was built by the Japanese in 1908. Originally a market, it has functioned as a performance space and teahouse since 1945. I have actually never seen a show at Honglou, but I've walked by the building many times--I'm excited to have a whole year here to check it out. While I'm at it, I'd love to learn a little bit more about the aesthetics of Japanese colonial architecture and urban planning. There are a number of structures in Taiwan dating from the colonial period, some repurposed and some still serving their original functions. The Presidential Offices in Taipei were designed and built by the Japanese (they are aesthetically similar to Honglou); that they endure as the headquarters for Taiwan's executive branch is testimony to the complicated past and present of this island.

Oooh, Taiwan Review came out today with a new article about Honglou, check it out!

1 comment: