Tuesday, October 20, 2009

boat's caught fire

I spent last weekend at the incredible Wang Yeh festival at Donglong Temple in Donggang. Read more about the festival here.

My photos never look as good when I feed them to Blogger, they lose color and definition. But I still love this shot of a gezaixi 歌仔戲 performer staring right at me. Is it kosher to say that about a picture I took?

Each palanquin--festooned with furiously blinking lights--held a different deity. I didn't get a chance to count them all, but there were dozens and dozens. The festival is held only once every three years, but if you're ever in Taiwan at the right time it's absolutely worth seeing.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree about the colors and definition. I will always take your pictures as a starting point to imagine the fabulous world in which you move.

    Of course, given these pictures, I don't find myself imagining. This festival sounds all-encompassing and moving.

    ReplyDelete